Monday, March 17, 2008

Whirlwind Friday


Me and Dozer with our sad and lonely faces

I took this walking to work this morning, this is the Westin hotel right next to my building and our building wasn't even touched.

I'm going to get made fun of by Josh, Jason and Meredith about the title of this blog but I don't care :)

Friday def ranks up there as one of the worst day I've had. It started at work when because I was involved in the process of firing one of our employees. Since moving into this position my responsibilities have increased and being apart of firing someone is one that I hadn't experienced yet. What was even harder about it was that she is one of my friends. I work in a small office so we are all pretty close and I have gotten to know this individual on a personal level and even hung out with her outside of work on several occasions. Needless to say it was hard, sad, and not something I enjoyed being apart of one bit. However, I was so excited because I was to be leaving for Laguna Beach the very next morning, would have 2 days off of work (Monday and Tuesday) and would be able to escape the office while enjoying sunny California. Well at 4:45 on Friday Josh called me to tell me he was being sent home (he was already in California for work) and his trip was going to be rescheduled at a later date. Well isn't that just great!!! I was so looking forward to taking this trip, I have only been to CA once but I was a little girl. I lost $100 on my flight and had bought a dress, a cute shirt, some earrings, travel supplies, you know all that stuff you do before going on a trip. So I went home Friday night, spent a lot of time on the phone, put in a movie and got a call at 9:45 from my best friend Hayley. It went something like this.

Hayley: "Are you ok?"
Me: "No, I'm really bummed about not getting to go to CA (I was thinking in my head though how did she know my trip got canceled)
Hayley: "I mean about the tornado in Atlanta that is at the GA Dome, less than a mile from you"
Me: "What, OMG my power went just went off!"

I was in my own little world feeling sorry for myself about my trip, obviously not watching basketball (that's how everyone found out about it), and had no idea that there was a tornado basically right outside my window. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was less than a mile from where I live. I spent the rest of the night in candle light, reading my new book and talking on my phone so much that it eventually died and I lost all contact to the world around me. I know that sounds so dramatic but have you tried being without light, TV, radio AND a cell phone? I can't imagine that people ever lived that way! It was also very scary because I did not know what was going on outside, if there was another tornado or what, I just heard it storming very loud and said plenty of prayers. You might ask why I didn't just go to my car and charge my phone, well I did once but eventually the emergency hall and parking garage lights went out so it was a pitch black walk to my car and I was not about to do that! Poor little Dozer was such a trooper and sat there on the couch with me all night and didn't act scared although he slept right next to me all night which made little room for me on the couch. I didn't care though and was so thankful I had him there with me. My power finally came back on around 9:00am the next morning and I couldn't believe all the damage that had been done in Atlanta and I realized how lucky I was that it did not come through my apartment. I was so relieved when I woke up on Saturday just knowing that it was a new day and it HAD to be better than the day before.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Oh wow, that is a bad day! The tornado thing was wild. We were watching the game and our boss was there. He called and asked us if he should get the heck out of there. The tornados are really starting to scare me around here. I am just not used to this. Glad there was no damage to your place.